Underarm skin irritation causes + 5 pro tips to avoid
Underarm is particularly sensitive and prone to irritation and dryness. But what causes these symptoms and what can you do to avoid them?
Underarm skin irritation causes
One of the main reasons underarm skin is so sensitive is its very location. Friction and sweat occur on a daily basis, and when combined with the use of anti-perspirant cosmetics and various hair removal techniques, they bring about redness, tenderness, itchiness, and even rashes.
If you do have underarm rashes, they might be caused by eczema, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis or candida. This is why it’s important to seek professional medical advice if your symptoms last for a longer period of time or are particularly uncomfortable.
5 pro tips to avoid skin irritation
- Practice good hygiene. Shower or bathe often, but keep it short, and make sure your water is lukewarm to warm. Adding oatmeal or apple cider vinegar into your bath water can help relieve underarm irritation.
- Keep cool and dry. Loose clothing made from natural fibers allows your skin to breathe, so avoid tight, synthetic tops, especially in warm weather. Cotton and linen are your best bet. Avoid staying in the sun or in humid environments. Sleep with a fan or air conditioning to avoid overheating at night.
- Don’t scratch. If your underarms are itchy, avoid scratching as much as possible. Gently pat the skin instead, and apply ice cubes for temporary relief.
- Shave properly. If you’re shaving your underarms, make sure you do it properly. Start by exfoliating the skin to avoid ingrown hairs, then wet it and apply plenty of foam. Shave using short strokes in different directions, but don’t go over the same area too many times. Apply aloe vera gel at the end and wait before using any other cosmetics on the area.
- Moisturize and protect your skin. Opt for a natural deodorant designed especially for sensitive skin, such as Swissflex Deo Roll-On. Not only does it reduce odour-causing bacteria, but it also soothes irritation and moisturizes the skin.
Image with text
Combine imagery with text to create stand-out campaign sections, eye-catching promotions, information blocks and more.